Top Social

Recently Read: 5 excellent books from the past 3 months

Monday 18 November 2019

I may be a bit behind on my monthly reading round-ups so instead of reviewing every book I read in the past three months (as there's 15 of them) I thought I'd share my top five! While I read a fair bit while away on holiday I didn't manage to read as many books as I'd hoped, mostly because I chose to take the almost 600 paged Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas with me. However, I did read a fair amount of five star and high 4 stared books so here they are!



Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson 

Boy oh boy, when Erin and Ria raved about this on our podcast episode back last year I didn't really take it in. You've probably noticed as I don't read all that much of them but I'm not the biggest fan of mystery type novels, I read books to relax not to be stressed out further by twists and turns. BUT, Truly Devious was the exception, it was excellent! I read it as an audiobook while I was training to work each day and it was an excellent source of entertainment on the commute. I read the sequel, The Vanishing Staircase, straight after and it was also excellent so I totally recommend this series and can't wait for the third instalment!

Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

I'd heard a lot about this book, everyone around the book internet was raving about it, but I didn't actually know what it was about. I'd downloaded it to my Kindle to read while on holiday and I think I finished it in a day, which isn't that common these days. I was slightly uncomfortable with the amount of cheesiness of it all, which made me knock off half a star, but I did thoroughly enjoy it. Although it did take me a while to realise the royal family was a 'fake' royal family and Henry wasn't just Prince Harry going by his real name

How Do You Like Me Now by Holly Bourne

While I was reading it I wasn't sure I liked it but after reading it turns out I thoroughly enjoyed it! It really does make you think about your life and relationships, and I think that's why I didn't feel like I enjoyed it because it makes you uncomfortable. It makes you question everything and brings up all those anxious thoughts of where you should as a mid to late twenties woman. You know the questions, 'why are all my friends getting married and having kids and I'm not' sort of thing. Turns out I actually got engaged a few days after reading this so I've put my anxious thoughts aside for now, but more on that later. Totally recommend it to all twenties/thirties gals!

Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks

I'm usually a big fan of Rainbow Rowell's books so when I heard she was releasing a graphic novel I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. What makes it even better is it's based all around a pumpkin patch and frankly I couldn't think of a better book to read during October?? Even though it's Spring here. If you love the cuteness of Rainbow Rowell's usual books I totally recommend you get stuck into the adventures of Deja and Josiah during Halloween night!

Steal Like an Artist trilogy by Austin Kleon

While I've been on a book buying ban this year I've only limited it to fiction books, design and creative inspiration books are totally fine to be buying in my opinion and hey I make the rules! In the past few months, I've been on a real creative inspiration book obsession after having a bit of a creative slump. I'd heard of the Steal Like an Artist trilogy a lot but never really looked into them until now, I have the set and I've binged them so hard. If you're ever in a creative slump and need inspiration I recommend reading one if not all of these, I'm definitely back on my feet (and managed to launch my website because of it woop)!


I will also give a quick honourable mention to Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire as they were great but I have already expressed my love of Sarah J Maas and the Throne of Glass series, so yes these were both great and I'm excited to jump into the next book in the series.

Follow
Post Comment
Post a Comment