Top Social

I'm officially allowed that quarter-life crisis now I'm 25

Monday 29 April 2019
Some thoughts on my 25th birthday and turning a quarter century. teal icing and rainbow sprinkle cupcakes flatlay

I'm officially 25 which means I can officially have that quarter-life crisis I joke I've been having for the past 5-10 years. But unless some serious technological advances happen in the health industry I really don't see myself, or anyone my age, reaching 100 so maybe I could've had it a few years ago.



25 was an age I was scared of. I mentioned in my birthday post last year that 25 felt too close to 30, and 30 too close to 40 and so on. But actually, I feel more okay being 25 than I did last year turning 24. I actually feel like I have my life together and, while I care way too much about the new Avengers movie to feel like a proper adult, I am happy with how things are going. Yes, even more people on Facebook are getting married and having babies and buying houses (not necessarily in that order) than they were last year when I was freaking out about it but I've grown used to it. They'll probably be even more doing it next year, and you know what I may have joined that group by then. Well, that's the plan anyway (the buying a house part not the married with babies part, don't worry).

While I can officially have that quarter-life crisis I think for the most part I don't need it anymore. I think I've actually got a handle on my life at the moment. I have a great family, a great boyfriend, lovely friends and a job I enjoy. I'm able to plan overseas holidays each year and feel like I may possibly reach my goal of buying a house next year (if the markets don't go even higher, which they probably will). I'm learning to drive, and doing well, which is something that I've struggled with anxiety for the past 9 years. I've found my groove with my lettering art, slowly beginning to form a following, and for the first time in a few years feel like I will follow through with my goal to open a print shop. Something I've been saying I'll do every year and then putting it off.

The actual day was the best it's been in a while. In the past, I've tended to have high expectations for my birthday that never really work out, because they're impossibly high and life isn't a movie. But this year I didn't have many plans, I booked the day off work so I could extend my Easter long weekend and I spent most of the day in bed or on the sofa just relaxing. I got UberEats pancakes delivered, ate them in bed, then spent the rest of the morning conquering a task on Zelda: Breath of the Wild that I've been struggling with (ignore this part when I say I feel like an adult). Having celebrated with my family over the weekend I spent the entire afternoon and evening with my boyfriend, all in all having an excellent day.

I know a lot of people love to make a big deal out of their birthdays, turning them into birthday weeks or months, but I'm all for the low key celebrations. I do love the messages and fun though, don't get me wrong, and the excuse to treat myself to things I've been lusting after. Oh, and the cake, never forget the cake!

So I do slightly feel like an adult, and actually feel okay turning 25 - who would've thought?!


Follow

Post Comment
Post a Comment