Top Social

Life Soundtrack

Monday 26 October 2015

So while I've been working none stop the past few weeks I've been listening to my Spotify playlist full of Robbie Williams, Michael Buble, and Westlife. The only reason why this playlist allows me to work so hard is because it was the soundtrack for a lot of my childhood growing up and it allows me to zone out completely and focus on my work. Theres a few specific songs that remind me of times in my life that I thought I'd share, and I'm pretty sure this is the same with everyone so feel free to share in the comments too, maybe we have the same ones!

That's Life - Westlife 
Pretty much the entire Allow Us To Be Frank and Robbie's Swing When You're Winning albums sum up my childhood but this song in particular takes me back. I remember driving to school one day in year six, I think my brother must've been sick as I was allowed in the front seat, and I added a little bit to the lyrics "You're ridin' high in April (cuz it's my birthday), shot down in May (cuz of exams), but I know I'm gonna change that tune, when I'm back on top, back on top in June (cuz it's almost holidays)." It was something along those lines, it was really lame but hey I was 11.

There's also another memory of sitting next to the heated towel rail when I was around 8 after having a bath, the entire bath normally took almost all of the Allow Us To Be Frank album so I'd be out drying myself when the last song came on. Then I'd 'roll myself up in a big ball and die' rolled up in a towel... again lame but I was 8.

All About You - McFly
I'm pretty sure this was when I was around 12 but we went on a family holiday to Whitby, North Yorkshire and the holiday song was All About You.

True - Spandau Ballet 
People think I'm really weird when I hear a song somewhere and I'm like oh yes that's a Sunday dinner song. I'm English, every Sunday we have a roast dinner and every Sunday we'd had the same playlist for literally years and years, it's only recently changed. But this song was one of the main songs on the playlist and every time I hear it I literally feel like I'm about to eat a yorkshire pudding.

Love Machine - Girls Aloud 
Apart from Girls Aloud being a large part of my childhood growing up, this song in particular reminds me of my afterschool dance class at primary. We had to choreograph a dance performance and the year 5 and 6 girls decided we'd rock out Love Machine with some rather raunchy dance moves for 10 and 11 year olds. I still remember every single move whenever this song comes on and I'm not embarrassed at all, I mean I don't do it... at least not every time.

Halcyon - Ellie Goulding
I unfortunately made the mistake of listening to this song and the rest of the album too much and now I hate it. I discovered the album on the plane to England in 2012 and minus a few hours of movie time the rest of the 30 hour journey there and the 30 hour journey back to NZ I listened to this album. It was perfect chilling and sleeping music, I did really like it at the time but now I hate it but it still reminds me of our trip back to England whenever I hear any of the songs.

Literally listening to each of these songs while writing this brought back these exact memories, it's weird to think about. There's probably so many more I've forgotten about and won't remember the moment until I randomly hear it again. Are there any songs that do this for you? Feel free to share the embarrassing ones too, they're the best!

Post Comment
Post a Comment